Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Cross, Part 4: Our disgrace

"Then they spit in his face and struck him" [Matt 26:67]

"I gave my back to those who strike,
and my cheek to those who pull out the beard;
I hid not my face from disgrace and spitting." [Is 50:6]

In what appears to be a fist fight that Jesus is clearly losing, God's sovereignty seems to shine so brightly in the backdrop, reducing this to but a minor scuffle when compared to the real battle being fought in the heavens for the souls of men. So as men boxed with God, God boxed with sin. Though it is natural to have seen this abuse and disgrace and to have "esteemed him stricken," Jesus was doing a work so great that we would've cheered him on had we been there and understood that, "he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed." [Is 53] !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment