Monday, July 6, 2009

meters and miles [By Tommie McAfee]

How fast should I run? How long is the race? Should I hold back zeal for the things of God in fear that I will eventually tire, lose interest, fall away, and make it all seem like a "religious phase"?

We assume that we have a set amount of years ahead of us until it's time to be serious about prayer, reading scripture, and loving our neighbor as ourselves and God with all of our heart, mind, and soul. "...yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring."* Which says to me that it is silly/boastful to try and pace my own spiritual growth when I have no idea how long I'll run this race before encountering the finish line. Some have been chosen to run marathons, and others are taken away after a single lap. Not to suggest that we frantically sprint through life, aimlessly directing our passions at every person and ministry that commands our attention, for "It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way,"* but rather that we trust God to pace us, and to pray as David concerning this matter, "Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life."* And in this way to effectively "run in such a way as to get the prize,"* no matter how long the distance.

Perhaps the question isn't, "How fast should I run?" but rather, "what is it that God wants me to do?" Then, instead of worrying that I'm trying to sprint a marathon, I can trust that God will sustain me to carry out whatever His will is for my life.

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." 
[James 4:13-16, Prov19:2, Ps 39:4, Phil 1:6]


3 comments:

  1. clap clap! Your words definitely speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad u were encouraged:) It's really hard for me to be ok with being excited about God because I seem to think it will create a burdensome expectation to maintain it. However, I like how these verses take the worry away by reminding me that God will carry out the work and strengthen me to run the race...i just need to agree with the pace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see what you mean about the commenting.... didn't realize anonymous comments were disabled, sry bout that :)

    ReplyDelete